November 2013 BABJ meeting minutes
Meeting date: 8 p.m. Wednesday Nov. 13
Location: Winship Room, The Boston Globe
Meeting called to order 8 p.m.
Carole Copeland Thomas
Chantee Lans (by phone)
Ann Clanton (by phone)
I. Report on the association’s incorporation, nonprofit status and bank account – Zuri Berry and Glenda Buell
-Our paperwork with the state is now in order, so we can raise money (yay!).
-Our bank account is also in order
-We now have three people who can sign any checks for the association: Zuri, Glenda, and Zeninjor
– We now also have a deposit card for the organization
-Zuri has invoice of expenses for $376.34, which covers the logo, annual report for last 10 years, application for revival with the state, certificate of good standing, website domain purchase and web hosting.
II. Update on the association’s website – Zuri Berry
-Check us out on http://www.bostonblackjournalists.org/ (will post meeting minutes, meeting agendas and dates, and more content)
-We got a logo made! (See the attached the file).
III. Report and discussion on partnerships being explored ahead of 2014 NABJ convention
• December event and possible partnership with Black MBAs – Zuri Berry
-Winter gala event on December 13 at the Westin in Boston
-Where we would help sell tickets and become a sponsor for the event. This is something for us to explore and consider. Zuri and Gary Morton are hashing out details on this.
• Black History month event with SNEABJ – Chantee Lans (conference call)
-Tentatively scheduled for February 1, 2014 (possibly at the Globe)
-Idea is for BABJ to partner with SNEABJ and have organizations meet to bring together local trailblazers for an event.
-SNEABJ is looking for panelists for the event. If you have ideas for panelists, please email Chantee Lans of SNEABJ: email@example.com
• Report on conference call with Boston Visitor’s Bureau – Gary Washburn
IV. Report on centralized document for sponsors
• Assign a member to spearhead this task as project leader
-We need someone to compile list of sponsors and oversee who contacts who – Kelley Chunn volunteered to take the lead on this.
-We have a fact sheet handout for potential sponsors
• To-do for project leader: Outline the proposal, followup, and closing process for potential sponsors (will provide more information later)
• Assign designated members as contact liaisons
• To-do for project leader: Set deadlines for the proposal process
IV. Discussion of BABJ’s exact responsibilities ahead of 2014 NABJ convention
• Form committees for community event, 5K race, chapter party, programming
• Review workshop proposal webinar
-5K event: Find location and map out logistics for run (Gary Washburn, Derrick Z. Jackson and Cory Allen)
-Community event: Plan community service project for convention (Ann Clanton, Cory Allen, Sarah Ann Shaw)
Suggestions so far: City year, Boston Cares, project in Dorchester
-Chapter party: Need to find location and figure out logistics for event (Ebony Reed
Suggestions so far: Children’s Museum; District innovation area, Microsoft NERD center, African American meeting house
-Programming: You can submit a workshop proposal now – the deadline is Sunday, Dec. 1
More details on proposals: http://www.nabj.org/?page=2014Workshops
Digital task force webinar on proposals: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/657336798
V. Discussion and outline for upcoming BABJ elections
• Call for nominations
• Set a date
-We need to have a chapter election. Possibly dates: Jan. 13, 2014, Feb. 12, 2014 or later so that the organization has a chance to flesh out responsibilities. We’ll discuss this further at next chapter meeting.
• SNEABJ meeting at ESPN (ESPN Plaza, Bristol, CT 06010) 2 p.m. Saturday Jan. 4, 2014
-Will have a tour of ESPN; can bring kids if you want (just contact Chantee Lans if you want to do that: firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Next BABJ meeting set for 7:30 p.m. Dec. 11, 2013; Location TBA
-Formally set committee members
-Follow up on Winter gala event
Meeting adjourned at 8:51 p.m.