Meeting date: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday Feb. 12
Location: The Winship Room at the Boston Globe, 135 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125
Meeting called to order: 7:37 p.m.
Jamarhle Crawford (on the phone)
-We had a great turn out for the event
-One of the criticisms was that we waited too long to promote the event
-One thought was that we could have focused more on the role of black journalists
-It would have been nice to have more students at the event
-Next time we could promote it early without the specific panelists names since they weren’t confirmed yet (use a more generic flyer)
-We did have a small number of members of the public who weren’t affiliated with journalism there, and they had very positive feedback.
-Our friends at SNEABJ did a great job helping put this together
-The event costs $563.93, which covered catering, programs, signage
II. Membership drive update
-We have applications for members to fill out and mail
-We also have set up an online form, but need to connect it to a paypal account first
-Our bank account in currently associated with another person’s paypal account, so we are working to get that removed so we can connect it with an account for the group.
III. Continued discussion and outline for upcoming BABJ elections
-Proposal to push back elections to April, so that we can focus on membership drive for the next month – that would put election date at April 9
-Question about reaching out to broader local audience to let people know that we are having a membership drive and elections are coming up
-Suggestion to get list from national organization of all NABJ members in the region and their contact information – can do a location search on the website
-We could reach out notable Boston journalists to help promote local chapter
-We need to put a deadline on membership dues, so that only paying members are eligible to run for the board and vote
-Plan to spend next month pushing membership drive
-Promote membership drive through partners – media outlets, colleges & universities
-Zuri will create a flyer we can use to promote membership drive
-We should tout national convention and benefits of local chapter when promoting membership drive
IV. NABJ national convention update
-Need to connect with Darryl R. Matthews the interim executive director of NABJ to get next steps on bringing sponsors to the table for the national convention – will also bring Bob Butler in on the conversation
-Suggestion from group: There need to be more info on the website for possible vendors/booth
– Edward Hegeman of Rapture Events stopped by to talk about his organization – www.raptureeventsboston.com – could possibly partner with us for our chapter party
-Would need space to hole at least 1,000 for July 31st in the evening. Some options are Emerald Lounge and Space 57 (Edward’s group has relationships with these locales).
-We are asking Edward to submit a proposal to us with their background and information on pricing and event options.
-We need to discuss having this be a ticketed event.
-Michael Munn is a director with the Boston Convention Center – Best contact for convention ideas
Text RAPTURE 55469 to get updates and info from Rapture Events
IV. Discussion of next chapter event
– College media day: invite students from area colleges and professionals to talk with them, answer questions about working in journalism, story development, breaking into the field, etc.
– Teen bootcamp for high school students: A one-day professional development session, resume review, workshops
-Can merge the two ideas and open it to high school and college students – BABJ student bootcamp
-Proposed date: Saturday, April 12
-Possible locations: BNN, BU, Roxbury Community College
-Rony Camille will look into nailing down logistics
V. Adjournment & Announcements
– Next BABJ meeting set for 7:30 p.m. March 12, 2014 at NESN (480 Arsenal Street Bldg. 1, Watertown, MA 02472)
– Upcoming event: “Roxbury Community Forum: Telling Our Story,” 2 p.m. Saturday Feb. 22 at the Dudley Branch Library (65 Warren Street, Roxbury, MA).
-We need theme for our chapter party
-We should reach out to each member on listserv to gage their interests and check their contact info (Rony Camille will handle this)
-Martine Powers suggests putting together a forum at the national convention to talk about student newspapers, how to increase diversity there.
Meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m.